Encouraging Your Child to Read During the Lockdown – A Parents’ Checklist2 min read
You’re at home, your children are at home, you have work, they have classes, you’re under pressure and children are fed up, not even calling their friends. You have a lot of books at home and can always download many more – but the kids are simply not interested in reading. What do you do? Try a few of these, and use the weekend to begin so that you are not on a video call, just in case.
- If you’re not interested in reading, children aren’t going to be. But before you pick up a book, create the environment for it. Talk about interesting things happening in it or connect it with what the child is interested in.
- Use the book for having a dialogue with the child – not just about the book but her views, her experiences, and also a little about what the book says.
- Young children love returning to books they have enjoyed. Use that opportunity!
- Ask children about things the like to talk about – then write them down and give it to them to read. Find books that are about similar themes and then…
- Start telling an interesting story and leave it at a point of suspense. When the child shows interest, pick up the book and continue from there.
- Older children might enjoy going through some non-fiction with you. Even 12-14 year olds enjoy being read aloud to! Especially if it is related to a them they are interested in.
- A sense of listlessness, an unexpressed anxiety or the feeling of being under pressure for studies might also be affecting your child. Have spent enough ‘listening time’ on this? If not, now might be a good time to begin. Reading and other things can come later.
What else would you add to this list?
इसे हिन्दी (Hindi) में पढें
1 response to "Encouraging Your Child to Read During the Lockdown – A Parents’ Checklist2 min read"
बहोत बढीया सरजी.. यही माहौल बदलने, बनाने के लिए एक पाऊल वाचन समृद्धीकडे अंतर्गत बच्चों को सुनने के लिए प्रती दिन कहानी की शुरुआत मैंने कई।बहोत बढीया प्रतिसाद मिला। एक प्रयास जरूरी है बच्चों को किताबों से जोडने के लिए। धन्यवाद।